Your baby's birth is special.
That's why Mercy's Birthing Center provides care that focuses on you and your new baby. We offer the following services as part of our family centered focus:
- Spacious, home-like birthing suites where mothers stay for labor, delivery and post-partum care.
- VBAC option for those desiring a vaginal birth after a cesarean birth.
- Childbirth education classes to help parents prepare for their new arrival.
- Overnight in-room accommodations for father or other loved ones.
- A full range of analgesic options, including intrathecal and epidurals.
- A whirlpool bath in each suite for pain management during labor. A birthing ball is also available.
- Certified Lactation Counselors to answer breastfeeding questions and assist with breastfeeding as needed.
- Celebration dinner for the new parents.
- New car seat to keep baby safe
- Baby calendar and bracelet to commemorate baby's birth
Our nurses and physicians will make every effort to honor your personal choices for birth. Fathers are encouraged to take an active role in the birth process and may cut the umbilical cord as well as give the baby’s first bath. After delivery, we help facilitate the “Golden Hour” which allows mom, dad and baby the once in a lifetime special bonding experience. We encourage parents to hold baby skin to skin after delivery. Baby will continue to room in with the parents throughout the stay to help them learn about their baby with their nurse always nearby to ensure they are confident in caring for their newborn.
When it’s time to go home, we send your newborn home in a new car seat, a gift from us to keep your baby safe. In addition, our staff members are certified child passenger safety technicians trained to make sure your baby’s car seat is installed correctly.
Mercy partners with the physicians at Gateway Family Health Clinic in providing obstetric care.
Our childbirth classes will help you gain knowledge and understanding so that you may prepare with confidence for the birth of your child. Our classes are taught by experienced obstetrical nurses using interactive teaching techniques.
To register for any of our Childbirth Education classes, call our Education Department at 218.485.5572.
To request individualized classes or for more information or a tour, call our Obstetrics Department at 218.485.5521.
In these classes, expectant parents receive information about:
- Relaxation and breathing techniques
- Labor and delivery
- Analgesic options
- Empathy Belly demonstration
- Tour of Birthing Suite
- Cesarean delivery
- January 14; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- March 7; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- April 22; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- June 6; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- July 22; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- September 12; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- October 21; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- December 5; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Caring for Your Newborn
Wouldn’t it be nice if your new baby was delivered with an instruction manual? Since they do not arrive with a manual, this class is the next best thing. This course will help you recognize normal behavior patterns of your newborn and learn some basic care skills.
Demonstrations will be given on a real newborn. Coaches are encouraged to attend with mom and if you have already delivered, your new infant is welcome, too.
Time: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- January 24
- March 21
- May 23
- July 18
- September 19
- November 14
Breastfeeding Education Class
This class is designed to give you information to help you breastfeed your baby. Topics will include:
- Benefits of breastfeeding to mother and baby
- Getting started breastfeeding, benefits of skin to skin
- Breast and nipple care
- Expectations in the hospital
- Expressing and storing breast milk
Time: 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- February 8
- April 5
- June 7
- August 9
- October 11
- December 13
Car Seat Safety Clinic
Mercy staff specially trained and certified in Child Passenger Safety (CPS) conduct FREE Safety Clinics, making sure that the proper car seat or booster is being used based on the age, height and weight of the child and that the seat or booster is properly installed.
Check back here or in area newspapers for specific date/time/location information. No appointment is necessary and everyone is welcome.
Please call 218.485.5521 for more information.