Your Baby’s Birth is Special
That’s why the Rhonda Kay Skelton Birthing Center at Mercy Hospital provides care that focuses on you and your new baby. We offer the following services as part of our family centered focus:
- Spacious, home-like birthing suites where mothers stay for labor, delivery and post-partum care.
- VBAC option for those desiring a vaginal birth after a cesarean birth.
- FREE Childbirth education classes to help parents prepare for their new arrival.
- Overnight in-room accommodations for father or other loved ones.
- A full range of analgesic options, including intrathecal and epidurals.
- A whirlpool bath in each suite for pain management during labor. A birthing ball is also available.
- Certified Lactation Counselors to answer breastfeeding questions and assist with breastfeeding as needed.
- Celebration dinner for the new parents.
- New car seat to keep baby safe
- Baby calendar and bracelet to commemorate baby’s birth
Our nurses and physicians will make every effort to honor your personal choices for birth. Fathers are encouraged to take an active role in the birth process and may cut the umbilical cord as well as give the baby’s first bath.
Mercy is a designated Baby-Friendly® Hospital (2018-2023). You will be cared for by staff trained to provide care in accordance with Baby-Friendly® Hospital Initiative guidelines.
After delivery, we help facilitate the “Golden Hour” which allows mom, dad and baby the once in a lifetime special bonding experience. We encourage parents to hold baby skin to skin after delivery. Baby will continue to room in with the parents throughout the stay to help them learn about their baby with their nurse always nearby to ensure they are confident in caring for their newborn.
When it’s time to go home, we send your newborn home in a new car seat, a gift from us to keep your baby safe. In addition, our staff members are certified child passenger safety technicians trained to make sure your baby’s car seat is installed correctly.
Mercy partners with the physicians at Gateway Family Health Clinic in providing obstetric care.
We invite you to tour our Birthing Center. Call us at 218.485.5521 to make arrangements. (Tours are included in our classes.)
Our childbirth classes will help you gain knowledge and understanding so that you may prepare with confidence for the birth of your child. Our classes are taught by experienced obstetrical nurses using interactive teaching techniques.
Class Information and Registration
All our prenatal classes are offered free to the public.
To request individualized classes, call our Obstetrics Department at 218.485.5521.
In this class you will be taught information about:
- What to expect during labor and delivery and the immediate hours beyond
- Pain relief techniques (Analgesic and non-pharmacological options)
- Relaxation and breathing techniques
- What to expect with if a cesarean delivery is necessary
- Have fun with our empathy belly and your significant other
- Tour our Birthing Center
- So much more!
We encourage mothers to bring a support person along to share the class.
2019 Dates (Board Room):
- 2018: Tuesday, November 27; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- 2019: Saturday, January 19; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- Tuesday, March 5; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 20; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- Tuesday, June 4; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 20; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- Tuesday, August 27; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, October 12; 9 a.m. to 12 noon
- Tuesday, November 26; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Birthing Class Refresher
This class is designed for couples who have previously had a baby. Let us help you tailor a class to your needs – we want to help prepare you for one of the most exciting days of your life!
This class includes, but is not limited to:
- A review of the labor process
- Breathing and relaxation exercises
- Medication/pain options
- Cesarean birth
- Assisting you with your birth plan
- Breastfeeding support
- Empathy belly – everyone’s favorite!
- Sibling preparation
- Tour of our Birthing Center
2019 Dates (Board Room):
- 2018: Tuesday, December 4, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- 2019: Tuesday, February 12, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 13, 9 to 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 28, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 22, 9 to 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, August 6, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September, 14, 9 to 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 29, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 3, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Caring for Your Newborn
Wouldn’t it be nice if your new baby was delivered with an instruction manual? This class is the next best thing! You will learn how to recognize normal behavior patterns of your newborn and also learn basic care skills for those first few weeks at home.
Time/Place 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Board Room
- 2018:Tuesday, November 13
- 2019: Tuesday, January 8
- Tuesday, March 12
- Tuesday, May 14
- Tuesday, July 16
- Tuesday, September 17
- Tuesday, November 12
Breastfeeding Education Class
This class is designed to provide you information to help you prepare for your journey with breastfeeding. There is so much to learn in this class that we have so little time to try and teach after your baby is born when you are tired and have visitors. Come relax, ask questions and work with our certified lactation counselors on achieving your breastfeeding goals!
Time/Place: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Board Room
- 2018: Tuesday, December 18
- 2019: Tuesday, February 6
- Tuesday, April 3
- Tuesday, June 12
- Tuesday, August 14
- Tuesday, October 16
- Tuesday, December 18
Car Seat Safety Clinic
Mercy staff specially trained and certified in Child Passenger Safety (CPS) conduct FREE Safety Clinics, making sure that the proper car seat or booster is being used based on the age, height and weight of the child and that the seat or booster is properly installed. Check back here or in area newspapers for specific date/time/location information. No appointment is necessary and everyone is welcome.
Next FREE Safety Clinic: Thursday, November 8, 2-4 p.m., Moose Lake Fire Hall.
Please call 218.485.5521 for more information.